These miniature cookies and cream vegan cupcakes are so chocolate-y and the icing is so creamy and vanilla-y!
This recipe is for a small batch. Use a mini-cup tin if you like bite size portions, the Big muffin tin when you want to DIG IN. You can make about 24 minis or 12 standard or 6 jumbos.
Vegan Decadence! Chocolate vegan cupcake that will satisfy a chocoholic, with a creamy vanilla frosting that tastes better than the inside of an Oreo, topped with chopped cookies.
- almond milk - 1 cup, 'Original' flavor
- apple cider vinegar - 1 teaspoon
- sugar - 3/4 cup
- canola oil - 1/3 cup
- vanilla extract - 1-1/2 teaspoons
- vegan butter flavor - 1 teaspoon, optional
- flour - 1 cup, all-purpose
- cocoa powder - 1/3 cup
- baking soda - 3/4 teaspoon
- baking powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- shortening - 1/2 cup, non-hydrogenated, organic, sustainable (Spectrum brand)
- vanilla extract - 1/2 teaspoon
- vegan butter flavor - 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
- powdered sugar - 2 cups
- almond milk - 1 tablespoon
- cookies - chocolate sandwich type with cream filling (Newman-O's or Oreos)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tins - either with paper cupcake liners or oil if not using a nonstick tin.
- Add almond milk and apple cider vinegar to a mixing bowl and whisk together. Set aside for a few minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir until mixed.
- Add into the milk mixture bowl: sugar, canola oil, vanilla, and vegan butter flavoring. Beat with an electric mixer until foamy.
- Take half the flour mixture and pour into the milk mixture and beat with the electric mixture for about 10 or 15 seconds.
- Add the remaining flour mixture into the milk mixture and beat with the electric mixer until there are no large lumps remaining.
- Pour batter into the muffin tins, filling each cup to about 3/4.
- Bake until the tops of the cupcakes are done (not wet looking). This will be about 9-14 minutes for mini cupcakes, and 18-20 minutes for standard cupcakes. When baking minis, keep a close watch on them because they bake quickly.
- Remove from oven and set on a rack to cool.
- While cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting:
- Use Spectrum brand vegetable shortening because this is non-hydrogenate, organic and sustainable. Add 1/2 cup to a mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon of vegan 'butter' flavoring, and beat to mix.
- Add one cup of vegan powdered sugar and beat until mixed.
- Add the remaining cup of sugar and beat until mixed.
- The mixture will look dry and crumbly. Add 1 tablespoon of almond milk until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Place the frosting in a cake decorator bag or baggie and squeeze onto the cupcakes. Or use a knife or spatula to spread the frosting on the cupcakes.
- Take about 2 cookies and chop them in a mini-chopper or food processor until they are crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs onto the frosting.
- Cut some cookies in half and place upright in the middle of the frosting.