Portobello mushrooms are meaty and steak-like, making them a hearty vegan option at a barbecue. They’re delicious on a bun as a “burger”, as well as a dinner entree.
“Portobello” and “Baby Bella” are actually brand names for Cremini Mushrooms.
Washing mushrooms: Mushrooms are very absorbent, so you cannot use any kind of detergent to wash them. Some people don’t wash them at all, saying it makes them soggy. I wash everything, so I rinse them under cold running water while wiping the surface, then pat dry with a paper towel. I think the little bit of water they absorb makes them juicy.
For the marinade, I use equal amounts of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. More vinegar than that makes it taste too tangy, in my opinion, although I’ve seen some recipes that call for double the amount of vinegar as olive oil!
Next, I sprinkle on garlic powder and salt. I’ve tried using fresh pressed garlic but the mushrooms didn’t have as strong a garlic flavor.
I let it marinate for at least half an hour but not more than 2 hours. As mentioned above, mushrooms are very absorbent, so they don’t need to marinate as long as other food items.
I then place the mushrooms in a grill basket and cook them on the grill until they have a good char. They’re good with tomatoes, either raw or grilled, on a bun, or tossed with pasta.
Portobello mushrooms are meaty and steak-like, making them a hearty vegan option at a barbecue. They're delicious on a bun as a "burger", as well as a dinner entree.
- Carefully remove the stems, rinse, and place whole or sliced mushrooms in a single layer in a dish.
- Whisk together equal amounts of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and pour over the mushrooms. The amount you will need depends on how many mushrooms you are using.
- Sprinkle garlic powder and salt on the mushrooms.
- Let marinate for half an hour.
- Remove from the marinade and grill on a barbecue grill, or on a grill pan on the stove, or in the broiler.
- Note: The mushrooms will shrink when cooked, so if you're using a barbecue grill you may want to use a grill basket.